Referrals are our greatest compliment. Thank you for trusting Care Chiropractic QLD to deliver the highest quality chiropractic care in FNQ.
By: Dr. Gordon McPherson-Rayner BSc (Hons), Bchiro
We live in a fast paced world where more and more people are finding it hard to get a good night’s sleep. Patients are always asking their Chiropractor how they can get more quality sleep. Getting seven to nine hours of sleep per night can relieve stress, improve cognitive function, memory, and reduce the risk of certain chronic diseases.
Here are a few useful tips that are recommended to help catch more quality sleep:
- Exercise regularly! Exercise helps to keep your body functioning and burns off excess energy. Make sure not to exercise too close to bed time as the elevated heart rate may keep you up.
- Drink warm, room temperature water at night if you are thirsty. Cold water may interfere with your digestive system.
- Get a sleep routine. Your routine should be replicated each night. Do similar activities before bed and try to get to bed at the same time to help your body get into a rhythm.
- Limit electronic screen time before bed. Bright screens interfere with the production of melatonin, the hormone responsible for our sleep/wake cycle, and can make it harder to fall asleep.
- Especially on our hot summer nights, it is important to keep your bedroom a cool temperature, and make the room as dark as possible. This will help your body calm after a busy day, and get ready for sleep.
- Watch your caffeinated beverage intake. Some people can be kept awake especially if they are consumed later in the day.
How can chiropractic help you sleep better?
Chiropractic is based on the premise that your body is self-healing and self-regulating. Chiropractors analyse the spine and remove interferences to the nervous system which inhibit its ability to function at its optimal state of well being. When the nervous system is functioning free of interference, all body systems work better, this can include sleep. Many people have musculoskeletal issues, neck and back pain, osteoarthritis, these conditions can negatively impact their quality of sleep. Through effective chiropractic care, patients may be able to get a comfortable night’s sleep and experience improvement in their quality of life. Get more quality sleep and you will have more energy to face whatever challenges life throws at you.
News from our Cairns, Mareeba, Malanda, and Innisfail practices, workshop dates, recipes, tips from the Chiropractors, and more! Pick up a copy of Care Chiropractic QLD's latest newsletter at your next appointment.