Dr Gordon McPherson-Rayner, Chiropractor
We live in a fast-paced world where more and more people are finding it hard to get a good night’s sleep.
Here are a few useful tips that are recommended to help catch more quality sleep:
- Exercise regularly! Exercise helps to keep your body functioning well and burns off excess energy. Make sure not to exercise too close to bed time as the elevated heart rate may keep you up.
- Drink warm room temperature water at night if you are thirsty. Cold water may interfere with your digestive system.
- Get a sleep routine. Your routine should be replicated each night. Do similar activities before bed and try to get to bed at the same time to help your body get into a rhythm.
- Limit electronic screen-time before bed. Bright screens interfere with the production of melatonin, the hormone responsible for our sleep wake cycle, and can make it harder to fall asleep.
- Especially on our hot summer nights, it is important to keep your bedroom a cool temperature and make the room as dark as possible. This will help your body calm down after a busy day and get ready for sleep.
- Watch your caffeinated beverage intake. Some people can be kept awake especially if they are consumed later in the day. If you are sensitive to caffeine, avoid drinking it past 2pm.
How can Chiropractic help you sleep better? Chiropractic is based on the premise that your body is self-healing and self-regulating. Chiropractors analyse the spine and remove interferences to the nervous system which inhibit its ability to function at its optimal state of welling. When the nervous system is functioning free of interference all body systems work better, and this can improve sleep. Many people have musculoskeletal conditions such as neck pain, back pain and osteoarthritis. These conditions can negatively impact the quality of sleep. Through effective care for patients with these conditions, they are more able to get a comfortable night’s sleep and experience improvement in their quality of life. Get more quality sleep and you will have more energy to overcome whatever challenges life throws at you.